Unhyeongung, designated as Historic Site No. 257 of the City of Seoul, is located in Uni-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul. This palace used to be a Jamjeo (a temporary place for the soon-to-be monarch to stay before taking the throne) of Gojong, 26th King of Joseon Dynasty, and was the house of Heungseon Daewongun. Unhyeongung retains its historical importance as a base for Heungseon Daewongun's political activities during the modern Korean era. Here, Heungseongun, Lee Haeung played the role of de facto ruler and reformed the political system into a royal regime. Even after resigning from the political position of regent, he persisted in engaging in political influences here. On December 9, 1863 when Heongseongun was promoted to Daewongun and his wife from the Min family received the title of Budaebuin, this private residence was given the name Unhyeongung. A folk song told that Unhyeongung, where King Gojong lived until he turned 12, and which was a Gwansanggam site during King Cheoljong, had the feng-shui energy to create a king. After King Gojong came to power, Daewongun expanded Unhyeongung again. The name, Unhyeon originated from an uphill path located in front of Seoungwan, whose name was changed to Gwansanggam in the era of King Sejo. The name remained as a special name for that. That is, Ungwan, coming from Seoungwan and Unhyeon, the name of the uphill path in front of Ungwan, were used literally for this spot. In that era, when Yeonguijeong (equivalent to today's prime minister), Kim Jwageun, Doseungji, Minchisang, and Gisakwan, Parkhaecheol and Kim Byeongik, whose mission was to deliver the royal order of the Queen Grandmother to Gojong, who was a successor of King Ikjong, visited this Jamjeo, they had the best sedan chair ceremony to show their respect to Gojong. The realistic description of Heoungseongun's dignified posture and his second son, Myeongbok's, innocent face tells that this place used to be Gojong's Jamjeo. After Japanese annexation of the Korean peninsula, Japan undertook a land investigation in 1912, confiscating and nationalizing the property of the royal family of the Daehan Empire. Minister Lee Wangjik was appointed to care for Unhyeonggun but the true owners of Irodang continued care-taking despite the legal ownership. The ownership of Unhyeonggung was returned to the descendents of Daewongun in 1948 via U.S. Military official documentation. Afterwards, a legal dispute took place between the South Korean government and the Daewongun family regarding ownership but on September 21 of the same year, Icheong (1936-), the fifth generation of Daewongun, was named owner. In 1991, because of the difficulty of maintenance and management of this palace, Icheong sold ownership rights to the City of Seoul. In December 1993, the palace was renovated and the current palace was born.